Visual Studio Code is a code editor for building and debugging modern web and cloud applications. Visual Studio Code is free and available on your favorite platform - Linux, macOS, and Windows.
This post shows how to install visual studio code on a Ubuntu desktop.
- Log into your ubuntu desktop and open a web browser.
Browse to https://code.visualstudio.com/Download
- Click on the .deb 64 bit link
- Click save file and ok
- Once the download completes open a terminal and cd to /Downloads and type ls -l
You should see your downloaded visual studio code package here.
- Next type sudo dpkg -i code_1.29.0-1542008808_amd64.deb
(tab after -i will populate the file name)
- Visual studio code should now be installed. Verify by clicking the search icon and typing visual. You should see the visual studio code icon. Click on it and the app should open.