This tutorial will show you how to install Visual Studio Code on ununtu 16.4 desktop.
- Log into your ubuntu desktop and open a web browser.
Browse to https://code.visualstudio.com/Download
- Click on the .deb 64 bit link
- Click save file and ok
- Once the download completes open a terminal and cd to /Downloads and type ls -l
You should see your downloaded visual studio code package here.
- Next type sudo dpkg -i code_1.29.0-1542008808_amd64.deb
(tab after -i will populate the file name)Hit enter
- Visual studio code should now be installed. Verify by clicking the search icon and typing visual. You should see the visual studio code icon. Click on it and the app should open.
- You’re good to go.
- If you want to do the install from your terminal, run the following commands
curl https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | gpg --dearmor > microsoft.gpg
sudo install -o root -g root -m 644 microsoft.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/vscode stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list'
Then update the package cache and install the package using:
sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install code # or code-insiders
That's it, leave a comment below if this worked for you or not.