Ubuntu on Windows allows you to use Ubuntu Terminal and run Ubuntu command line utilities like bash, ssh, git, apt and more on Windows.
This post shows you how to install the Ubuntu terminal on Windows 10
- First you need to enable Windows Subsystem for Linux. To do this open control panel and click on Programs.
- Then click on "Turn windows Features on or Off"
Then check the box for Windows Subsystem for Linux and click ok.
- You will then be asked to reboot your system. Click Restart now.
- When your system boots up you are ready to install the Ubuntu terminal.
To install go to the Windows Store here.
Click the get button to install the app.
Click No Thanks at the next prompt
The app should now start to download.
- Once the app is downloaded it will be ready to launch. Click the launch button.
The Ubuntu terminal will launch, install and start to configure.
You will be prompted for a Unix username and password for your terminal.
Once you enter your username and password the install will complete and the terminal will be ready to use.
- Test out your terminal by running a few unix commands like sudo apt update.
- That's it. You now should be able to run a Ubuntu terminal on windows.Leave a comment below and let me know if this worked for you or not.